Speed reading is the process of rapidly recognizing and absorbing phrases or sentences on a page all at once, rather than identifying individual words.
Most people read at an average rate of 250 words per minute (wpm), though some are naturally quicker than others. But, the ability to speed read could mean that you double this rate.
You avoid pronouncing and “hearing” each word in your head as you read it, a process known as “sub-vocalization.” Instead, you “skim” lines or groups of words, as you can understand words more quickly than you can say them.
1.Focus on blocks of words rather than on individual words
2.Do this by relaxing your face and “softening” or expanding your gaze on the page, so that you stop seeing words as single, distinct units.
3.When you approach the end of a line, allow your peripheral vision to take your eye to the final set of words.
– The Pointer
– Hold a card under each line and drag it down the page as you read
– Sometimes called ‘hand pacing’ or ‘meta guiding’
– Found by Evelyn Nielsen Wood
– The scanning: “Scanning” involves moving your eyes quickly down the page – often down the center – and identifying specific words and phrases as you go.
You won’t read every word, but your eye will land on what is important to allow you to grasp the basic idea.
– Avoid distractions
– Go easy
– Cover words that you’ve already read
– Know what you want from the text
– Benchmark your process
– Practive, practice, practice
– Spritz: Spritz analyzes content and presents it to the reader one word at a time in a window we call the redicle. One key letter in each word is highlighted in red. We we call this letter the “Optimal Recognition Point”. Our redicle keeps your eyes focused on the ORP, allowing you to read, comprehend, and retain information without the need to move your eyes.
Are you ready to change the way you read? You are not born to read, you are taught to read
TEDx Talks. (2015, 18 maart). Are you ready to change the way you read? | Frank Waldman | TEDxLausanne [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7q7s-bjIVg
Spritz – The Worlds Best Speed Reading App – Reading Reimagined. (z.d.). https://spritz.com/
MindTools | Home. (z.d.). https://www.mindtools.com/aokg6bn/speed-reading